Monday, January 25, 2010

My New Hero – Flint Lockwood

When flying you end up watching films you might not otherwise even look at, and today between London and Chicago I was forced to watch a ‘chick flick’, and ‘who dunnit ‘ but the one I enjoyed most was cloudy with a chance of meatballs, it was an excellent cartoon and one which I was able to draw a lot of parallels with.

Flint Lockwood is a nerd, he tries hard but things just never go right and he is the joke of the town. I am a nerd and I was the joke.

His first invention was spray on shoes, a good idea but you can’t actually take them off, he is stuck with them for ever. Is that what has happened to me? Is the ACE Program stuck with me forever – I do hope so.

Debra’s daughter (let’s call her Brooke), she doesn’t really see the point. When she was in Australia and caught up with her mum for the first time in months she walked into the hotel room and said ‘you haven’t bought that f!!*&% rag with you have you?’, and then the other day when she had a preview of my film (you have to wait a few days), she went on facebook and said, ‘yes I have seen it – now can you burn it’ she really does need sorting out, although Debra isn’t too keen on letting Mogens do the sorting out even though he has volunteered. Still Brooke (may not be her real name), is coming to Denver and if she can’t love me after a week then she is not worth worrying about. But she did join my fan club today possibly because mom said she couldn’t come to Denver if she didn’t.

Anyway back to the film analogy, will I stay forever, I hope so, I am fun, a mascot and an icon and why should my life be shortened in any way?

The heroine in the film is a young professional women but Flint realises she is just like him, and says ‘be the real you, release your inner nerd’, Debra is worried people may relate that to her, and says there has been no nerd in her since she closed her life to programming when Cobol left town.

But back to me, me, me, just like Flint's ideas, I may not have started life well but the intention was good and eventually everyone (with the current exception of Brooke) saw the importance of me. Now I am an icon.

The story comes to a dramatic climax with a spaghetti tornado that spirals out of control, have I gone out of control? Will I have to be stopped?

Of course not, you silly reader. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is fiction, the product of an over active imagination and simply make believe. I, Stanley, the Original ACE Director am real.

No comments:

Post a Comment