Saturday, April 17, 2010

Getting to Copenhagen - not that easy

Thursday on the boat and we heard about the Icelandic Volcano and the possibility of not being able to continue our journeys. Information was difficult to come by, as the internet was by satellite and had to travel 140,000 km round trip. They even suggested that to enjoy your surfing you only use low graphic web sites, you couldn’t get email so information was sketchy
Still I had recently travelled by Royal Mail so am used to difficult travel conditions.

The final party was a Spanish evening and here you can see the OUGN president Frank Vikingstad with me at the drinks reception.

When we arrived in Oslo on Friday we knew the airport was closed. I had to get back to Copenhagen as Debra’s next flight was from there and we were going to meet both Mogens and Dan. I was so excited we don’t often get together. I would be very angry if I could not get there, but one of my ACE friends Sten Vesterli and Jørgen Holmer-Bretlau from Oracle support also wanted to get there and they managed to hire what turned out to be one of the last available cars.

We went to Oslo airport and I actually found a plane, but like every other plane in Europe it would not take off so off we went in the car. It was executed like a military operation, every hour Sten and Jørgen would change over the driving and with just one break drove straight through. We left Oslo at midday and they left Debra and I at the railway station just before 8pm and then Dan arrived from Berlin not long after. Poor Dan had been able to get a train up but had needed to stand for the last 3 hours.

We then got a local train to Măløv where Mogens lives. We have all been before but it was dark and we couldn’t see well. We did have directions from Mogens but it seemed a long way and eventually Dan turned on the Google Maps, I did keep telling him to but he didn’t hear me. We were a long away, away, but eventually we got there and the fireworks started ....... I was rumbled

No comments:

Post a Comment